About Me

My photo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
I am Ollie Elliott. I studied BA Computer Games Design and got a 2.1 with honours at Newport University. I'm from sunny Somerset. This is my blog. It's about different things. Go away.

Wednesday 6 January 2010

I wonder what John McClane would have to say about all this snow.

Cool snow scene from the awesome Mini Ninjas (not my picture). Also today I thought I'd venture into the world of web comics after watching the Zero Punctuation episode on them. I've done this before and was fankly horrified by what I saw but thought I'd have another go as there must surely be some good stuff out there.
So I went on a web comic list website and immediately clicked on the most badly drawn picture I could find which led me to Victor Daniel's 'The Vanguard', a sci-fi superhero space opera promoted as "Adventures of a team of starfaring heroes protecting the galaxy of the 24th century". Here's the link:
http://webcomicsnation.com/macnut/vanguard/series.php

Right. Hopefully you've a had a nice long read. Clearly what we're looking at is a massive dollop of wank. I'll admit to having only read a couple of pages but I can safely confirm that it was enough to qualify me as an expert on the subject. My favourite line of dialogue so far is "OH I'M SORRY, DID I INTERRUPT THE IMPENDING MURDER OF MY FRIENDS? WELL, TOO BAD..."
I'm not entirely sure but it seems that only one page is released per week and this, given what one page of 'The Vanguard' consists of, is absurd. Imagine if DC or Marvel released issues page by page, it would be fucking MENTAL. Even more ridiculous/incredibly funny is that the "on next week's page" previews are more descriptive, revealing and coherent than the actual next week's page.
Also, perhaps more terrifyingly, people read it. It's been presented by Daniel at comic conventions and there's even fan art, most of which is far better than the actual comic's artwork incidentally.
However, willing to give the creator (obviously an young fellow in his early teens and heavily into Star Trek and X-Men) the benefit of the doubt, I decided to find out more about his prodigious self and hopefully unearth some information regarding his "self-taught drawing (wait for it...) skills". Turns out he's a 40 year old network support worker from Philadelphia with a Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology... It's been over an hour and I still haven't quite gotten over this.

No comments:

Post a Comment